Who is she?

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Lost in Translation

At the persistance of my NUMBER ONE reader, Emma, it was decided that a new post should be written. I was just out living the dream so I could put it into beautiful words.

There are many things that I have learned in the last 12 days.... About myself and about Korea. Sometimes you have to be your own cheerleader because if you're feeling down, the only one who can really shake you up and say "SNAP OUT OF IT! THIS IS YOUR LIFE!", is you. And snap out of it I did. It is amazing how when you are living your dream, sometimes that dream takes on a life of its own. I was so busy being SUPER TEACHER, that I forgot to take a deep breath.

I am so happy to be here, I love my job and have made some great friends. However, you're no good to anyone if you're run down. I didn't realize how hard it would be to adjust to certain things, but also underestimated how easily things fall into place all the same. I wanted everything NOW NOW NOW...but the most amazing part of the journey is the journey itself. I have learned so much about my teaching style, about my speaking style and how I relate to others. I have learned also about the kindness of Koreans and the oddities I've encountered.

Today while I was in the subway station waiting for my train, a young man poked me on the shoulder. A little startled, as I was grooving to Mumford and Sons, was curious as to what he wanted... thinking," Ok. Here we go. Someone who wants to practice English again or show me the ways of Jesus." Instead he said," Your bag is open a little bit, would you like me to zip it up for you?" Wow. Just a simple thing like that can totally change your day.

I'm a firm believer in PAY IT FORWARD. Maybe it was my payment from the universe for letting a woman who had less things in the line at the store go in front of me. Anyways...pass it on....people appreciate it and you make the world smile back with you.

On that same subway journey, an old Korean woman was giving me the eye.... I was about the give her the hairy eyeball when she spoke to me - I looked like I was carrying too much and should go take a seat. HAHAHA! I told her I was trying to get some exercise but thanked her. A few stops away the car emptied out so took a spot right beside her and had a chat. She was lovely and her son had lived in California. Two highlights of the day!

This post took a turn from what I intended to write about...but the main thing is - beauty is all around you...sometimes you just have to take the IPOD earbuds out and take a look and listen.

Until the next time. xo

1 comment:

  1. Yay! So great living vicariously through you and your thoughts of wisdom. Love your number #1 fan xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!